old-school bosch injection (cis) question/s

Camden Lindsay cjl169 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 31 00:24:10 GMT 2001

Hello,
I was new to list a couple of months ago, and have just been watching the
talk.  I realize this may not be quite on topic with most of the
discussions, but i have a question reguarding the older style air jacketed
bosch cis injectors.
On CIS injected motors the heads have air jackets for the injectors built
into them, attatched to the intake manifold (plenum)via a "breather" hose.
I am wondering the reasoning for this-- to help "swirl" or whatever the
injector's output?
The reason i am questioning the reason for these is as follows...
I own an 84 audi 4000csquattro with an 83 5000 turbo motor in it.  I am in
the process of converting it to pulsed rail injection (kind of rigged, but
it should work...using a bosch LH 2.4 unit and harness from an 89 saab 900
turbo, splicing in one extra injector since they are batch fire... slightly
larger injectors (30lb) and messing with fuel pressure at the rail to help
with mixture-- the saab and audi use the same stock ignition
system--amplifier, pickup, coil-- only difference being that the ecu will
think the motor is running 1/5 faster than it is-- because the audi is an
inline five rather than a four ). The pulsed injectors fit into the holes
for the CIS  injectors using  small resin inserts from a corrado g60 (or a
couple of other vw's/etc).
I am wondering weather to leave this "breather" hose the way it is, or to
cut it off and block the passageway.  I have had one person that has done
such a conversion tell me to plug it, but he never specified why or if he
had tried leaving it open.
As far as i can see there would be no problem leaving the hose intact-- but
i'm no expert.
Any input would be greatly appreciated---

cj