oxygen sensor location?

Jon jon at dakota-truck.net
Tue Jul 31 21:28:54 GMT 2001

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Walter Sherwin wrote:
> Irregardless of whether or not you have headers, you should really try to
> keep your O2 sensor in roughly the same location (and sampling the same
> cylinders) as what your stock software setup accommodated, especially with
> GM TBI, after your conversion.  This way, all of the C/L INT and PROP and
> TRANSPORT delays (and functions) of your OE software can be somewhat
> persevered.  If your OE stuff  sampled one bank originally, then do the same
> in your conversion.  If it was in the Y-pipe originally, then do the same in
> your conversion.  If you are much further downstream of the OE sample point
> after conversion (or if you have thin tubes), then consider a heated O2
> sensor if not already equipped so, and switch it to an ignition source.

   It would be nice if it were that easy.  :-)  But in my case, there is
no OE stuff; no software, no original O2 bungs, etc.  :-)  (I'm converting
a '70 440 from a carb to TBI.)  I'm planning on using the Holley
Commander 950 TBI setup, so its not really diy-efi in that sense, but
I figured O2 sensor placement is common to all systems though, diy-efi or not.

  Its starting to look like I should just put the sensor in one bank,
right after the exhaust manifold.

                                              -Jon-

 .---- Jon Steiger ------ jon at dakota-truck.net or jon at jonsteiger.com -----.
 |  I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA.   Rec & UL Pilot - SEL  |
 | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly |