oxygen sensor location?

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at home.com
Tue Jul 31 22:41:10 GMT 2001

>    It would be nice if it were that easy.  :-)  But in my case, there is
> no OE stuff; no software, no original O2 bungs, etc.  :-)  (I'm converting
> a '70 440 from a carb to TBI.)  I'm planning on using the Holley
> Commander 950 TBI setup, so its not really diy-efi in that sense, but
> I figured O2 sensor placement is common to all systems though, diy-efi or
not.

>   Its starting to look like I should just put the sensor in one bank,
> right after the exhaust manifold.
>
>                                               -Jon-

Yup.  In your case I would target one collector/bank or the other, and be
done with it.  Maybe install a spare bung in the other collector/bank just
so that you can later move your sensor from side to side as a sanity check.
I'd use a heated O2 sensor if very far from the cylinders.  Remember the O2
signal grounding issues.  Depending upon your exhaust configuration, you may
need a "redundant ground" equipped heated O2 sensor.

Walt.