Tuning with EGT

Jason R. Haines jhaines at lingenfelter.com
Mon Mar 5 17:32:53 GMT 2001

We used to use EGTs for tuning but have switched to individual AFRs. We have
found the AFR to react much faster than the EGT. If you look at the time
constansts for most thermocouples, the amount of time required to get to 90%
of the actual reading is often measured in seconds while the UEGO sensors
are measured in milliseconds. Also, you can be rich or lean and cause
similar EGT's to occur depending on where the combustion is taking place (in
the chamber or in the exhaust).

Just my $0.02

Jason