Tuning with EGT

justin ivan vlkslvr at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 17:52:00 GMT 2001

I have seen various discussion on this issue. I would agree that tuning by
EGT alone can be dangerous becuase it can occur at different AFR's. Likewise
tuning with AFR alone can also be a limitation becuase you don't know how
close to the threshold before detonation you are. My comments apply largely
to turbo efi cars as that is my experience but it is very possible to be at
desired AFR but be 100+ deg F cool on the EGT, that means that ther is some
room for more power to be made. I feel that both are probably better then
one or the other. That being said I would rather have an AFR if I was
limited to only one.
Justin