spark timing measurement and recording

Jason R. Haines jhaines at lingenfelter.com
Wed Mar 7 13:17:48 GMT 2001

Has anyone used any equipment to actually measure and record ignition timing
at the engine. Accurate Technologies sells a unit to do this but it costs
several thousand dollars. One of the ECM wide band meters also offers this
information but it too costs several thousand dollars. I would think with a
crank position sensor and a pickup on a spark plug wire that this would not
be that difficult to record. Any ideas on how to build such a device? Anyone
else already make something like this but at lower cost? It would be nice to
record ignition timing along with rpm and the other normally recorded
variables in our data acquisition systems.

Thanks,

Jason