Rising rate fuel pressure regulator

Greg Hermann bearbvd at cmn.net
Sun Mar 11 01:43:38 GMT 2001

At 8:06 PM 3/10/01, Walter Sherwin wrote:

>> There is a lot GOOD to be said for the idea of using a rising rate fuel
>> pressure regulator to effectively widen the dynamic range of the
>injectors.
>> This can GREATLY improve streetability, and fuel economy to some estent,
>> too.
>>
>> Even with a quality RR regulator, though, I think one ought to plan to
>have
>> a fuel pressure transducer in the rails in order to give feed-back on what
>> the regulator is doing to the ecu. (Along with software that corrects for
>> fuel pressure variations!)  Just too much room for problems otherwise.
>>
>> IIRC, Carl Summers had a source for a _REALLY_ nicely made unit, and
>> someone here had a picture of one of these units installed on an engine.
>> NICE looking unit. Most of this type of unit out there on the market do
>> appear to be junk waiting to happen---
>>
>> Greg
>>

>Yup, I agree with your comments re: expanding the dynamic range with an FMU
>!  The billet regulator that Carl mentioned awhile back is a Whipple
>component.  Can be found at www.whipplesuperchargers.com or
>www.powertrain.net.  Single stage boost bias diaphragm, or, multiple stages
>of diaphragms.  I ran one of their singles for awhile and it worked quite
>well.  Fairly linear too (once I found a fuel pump that would satisfy the
>flow versus pressure balancing act).

Mechanical drive, gear type secondary (high pressure) fuel pumps can be
sweet for this sort of games---the fact that the volume of fuel the pump
will make goes up automatically with engine speed is sort of helpful too!

I also like the concept of using a centrifugal bilge pump mounted in the
fuel tank to keep the mechanical pump primed. The typical bilge pump will
flow about 36 HUNDRED gallons per hour through an open line, but stalls out
at about 7 to 9 psi. The curve is so flat from 0 flow to more fuel than you
could ever reasonably DREAM of using ( pretty flat out to 400 or 500
gallons per hour) that no pressure regulation for its output is needed. At
these "lower" flow rates, these pumps don't use much juice at all, either.
Utterly insensitive to dirt, so no filter "sock" is needed, either.

Stuff like the alky fueled roundy-round racers run! DSR or Barry Grant are
decent ones. The DSR units are particularly nice as they are completely
"coated" on the internals--saving wear and galling problems.

Hey--if you're going to convert to DIS ignition, ya might as well have that
dizzy shaft doing SOMETHING useful ! :-)

Greg