Rising rate fuel pressure regulator

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at home.com
Sun Mar 11 01:05:20 GMT 2001

> There is a lot GOOD to be said for the idea of using a rising rate fuel
> pressure regulator to effectively widen the dynamic range of the
injectors.
> This can GREATLY improve streetability, and fuel economy to some estent,
> too.
>
> Even with a quality RR regulator, though, I think one ought to plan to
have
> a fuel pressure transducer in the rails in order to give feed-back on what
> the regulator is doing to the ecu. (Along with software that corrects for
> fuel pressure variations!)  Just too much room for problems otherwise.
>
> IIRC, Carl Summers had a source for a _REALLY_ nicely made unit, and
> someone here had a picture of one of these units installed on an engine.
> NICE looking unit. Most of this type of unit out there on the market do
> appear to be junk waiting to happen---
>
> Greg

Yup, I agree with your comments re: expanding the dynamic range with an FMU
!  The billet regulator that Carl mentioned awhile back is a Whipple
component.  Can be found at www.whipplesuperchargers.com or
www.powertrain.net.  Single stage boost bias diaphragm, or, multiple stages
of diaphragms.  I ran one of their singles for awhile and it worked quite
well.  Fairly linear too (once I found a fuel pump that would satisfy the
flow versus pressure balancing act).

Walt.