Wide Band O2's

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Mar 14 05:17:57 GMT 2001

From: "clayb" <clayb at sonic.net>
> > From: "Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net>
> > Subject: Re: Wide Band O2's
> > The only tricks are being able to solder, and ordering parts.
> > For those at the non engineering end of things then just hang out will
> > things are more refined.   If you don't know how to solder then this is
the
> > time to try and learn how.    If your serious about EFI, your going to
have
> > to learn that anyway
> > Bruce
> While I agree that learning is good, I would also like to point out...
> It is a waste of time to re-invent the wheel!
> I am very good with electronics, as are many others on this list. I'm
> sure most would agree with me when I propose; it is not worth the time
> to re-engineer a device that has been decently engineered already. Most
> EFI equipment falls into this category.
> It makes more sense for me to work at my day job, than to invest hours,
> days, or more, designing something I can buy "off the shelf". I'll
> invest the (less) time on a proper install, tuning, theory, and actual
> enjoyment of the end result.

If you think you'll never need to master soldering and deal with EFI, well,
I don't see how you'll ever manage that long term.   Couple hours learing to
do soldering, and the various splices, and using heat shrink are just so
cost effective.   Say you buy a commercial harness at $550,  or a $50
junkyard,  both will take the same time to route,  with the *kit* harness
you might wind up with all leads too long, and then install just looks
sloopy, or too short and you need to splice everything, again means
soldering,  or use the junkyard one and splice to work exactly as you want
and spent the $400 on going faster.  I'm also giving $100 for premium
soldering stuff.  For every happy camper for aftermarket harnesses I heard
an unhappy over the years.
Bruce