"Leaf Blower" Forced induction idea

Stewart Prince sprince at csun.edu
Fri Mar 16 22:23:48 GMT 2001

Let' say you had a 350 ci engine, running at wot, 3000 rpm.  This is about 1400 lbm/hr or air
entering the engine.  If the boost density ratio was about 2, then we have about 2800 lbm per hour
of air entering the engine.  Assuming a specific heat of 1 kj/kg K and an inlet temp of about 290
K, with a compressor efficiency of about .7, this is about  30 kwatt, or 40 horsepower!  You need
to get this power from somewhere,  and if it's an electric motor, a  40 horsepower electric motor
is HUGE!!  What I'm trying to say is your leafblower might put out a bunch of air flow, but not
when the pressure is twice atmospheric.  If you used a mechanical device such as a belt driven
supercharger, you would get about 2800lbm/hr / .5 lbm/hp-hr/14 about 400 hp, but you would have to
subtract off the 40 hp to run the s.c. so net is 360.

espen hilde wrote:

> Second tought.....use two and take them in series , one pushing the other ,twice the pressure!
> Espen.
> How about a little factory making nos in the car?

STEWART PRINCE

PROFESSOR, MECHANICAL ENGINEERING

CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, NORTHRIDGE