Injector info

Marcel Chichak remote account marcel_chichak at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 22:45:13 GMT 2001

Grant asked:

> OR, is there a way I can test the injector I have?
> Flow rate is least important right now, resistance is
> what I need the most.  Could it be as simple as
> hooking up an Ohmmeter?  Is it possible I could damage
> it doing this?

 Yep, just hook up an ohm meter: 2-3 ohm = low imp, 14-16 ohm = high
imp. OK, don't quote me on these, I'm at "work" and don't have my data
handy, but that's the general trend. If you want to see the big
difference, hook an ammeter up.

I test my injectors on a simple test bench consisting of:

*Bosch canister type pump from a Renault (ahead of RR wheel)
*Bosch fuel pressure regulator which shows 43 PSI on the...
*liquid filled 60 psi pressure gauge
*home made single injector rail
*glass bowl ceramic fuel filter
*a bunch of 5/16" fuel line
*msc switches, wire and 12 volt gel cell
*1 liter peanut butter container (crunchy works best ;-)
*1000 cc graduated cylinder
*stopwatch from the rally car
*1 liter of varsol

The whole setup cost me $15 in salvage parts from the bone yard, which
BTW sell injectors for $1.99 CDN each. I've got a mountain of them from
150 cc/min to 550 cc/min. I have no idea what I'll need for my project
but I'm prepared!

I test by setting everything up, starting the pump and waiting until
all the air is purged and the pressure stabilizes, then I switch on the
injector and let it run wide open for 1 minute. The volume of varsol in
the cylinder is what the injector is rated at. I've correlated my
method with the factory numbers and they're within a couple CC's so the
substitution of varsol for gasoline and running them wide open seems to
be OK. Waaaay safer too!!

You can learn a lot by running an injector on the bench like that:

*Rochester injectors have a really nice fine spray pattern but no
velocity
*Bosch injectors have huge velocity and pencil thin pattern
*Denso injectors are damn inconstant in their discharge, ranging as
much as +-10%, Bosch and Rochester are spot on every time
*it's easy to see problems with plugged injectors. At $2 each they go
in the garbage.

=====
--
Marcel chichak remote account