OT, Cheap Tricks

Guy Hammer guyh at aracnet.com
Wed May 9 02:39:30 GMT 2001

On Tue, 08 May 2001, BamaInstrument writes:
> Watch out for this!  It all depends on the metal used in the multimeter
> probes!  The pH test is much more reliable.  Then check your probes and
> party on.

Good point - I hadn't given this much thought.  I gathered up a sample
of metals I've collected over the years and ran some tests on my daily
driver and test mule, a '98 Side-kick with the factory coolant. (I know,
it'll get changed before next fall... :) Results were with an aluminum
radiator core - negative probe was:

Standard Tektronics (I assume nickel plated) Probe	.40V
Stainless Steel (ruler)				.15V
Copper						.07V
Aluminum					.37V
Tungsten						.16V
Brass (ball point pen refill) 				.07V
Titanium						.28V
High Speed Steel (drill bit, whatever that is...)		.20V

I had gold and silver (rings) samples as well - unfortunately they
didn't fit through the radiator neck, and I was somewhat reluctant to
cut them to fit... ;^)

Bottom line - I didn't see any results that would make me run out and
replace the coolent later tonight.
Guy Hammer, guyh at aracnet.com
http://www.aracnet.com/~guyh
--
  6:50pm  up 56 days, 19:46,  4 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 0.93