polishing intake runners worthwhile? & bosch high psi/highvol. pump info

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Mon May 14 10:26:56 GMT 2001

Ludis Langens <ludis at cruzers.com> wrote:

>Books that I've read say that the turbulence _increases_ airflow -
>something about a smooth surface causes lamular flow along the surfaces
>(with a dead spot in middle of the runner), while a rough surface causes
>the whole runner cross section to be used.

This is quite wrong. The reduction in flow due to turbulance is quite
dramatic, especially in very small tubes where I have practical experiance. I
have no idea what sort of difference it makes in automotive applications.

Perhaps you are thinking of mixing? When you want homogeneous mixture at the
other end then you want turbulance. Or are you thinking of heat transfer? You
want the flow in the middle of the tube to reach the edges and turbulance
helps a lot.

Tom Parker - tom at carrott.org
           - http://www.carrott.org