TBI Manifold Preference...???

The Punisher punisher454 at hotmail.com
Sat May 26 10:39:56 GMT 2001

Doug:
I have a setup very similar to what you describe. Its in an S-10 pickup so
weight will be similar to youre vette.
the engine is a 406 small block with 11:1 comp. I used world products dart2
sportsman2 heads. I think the sportsman's flow a bit more air, but the TFS
wedge's got a much better chamber(and possibly more detonation resistant).
I applied thermal barrier coating on the piston tops,combustion chambers,
valve's, and exhaust ports. I air-brushed it on after SAND-blasting(NOT
glassbead), then cured it in the oven.
I use crane 1.6 rockers and have a hydraulic cam just slightly bigger than
yours.
I have a torker2 manifold with a custom made 1.5" spacer and a 670CFM holley
2 barrel injector. I made my own spacer to center the TBI over the center of
the plenum and ported it to a very smooth transition. The TBI is wider than
the 4150 type opening and I did not want to disrupt flow with a sharp angled
adaptor like the holley one.
I still dont have a proper computer on it, I have been using an old analog
Pro-Jection unit for control. It would be much better with a 747. BUT it
does run better with the crappy pro-jection box than it does with a 600
holley vaccum secondary or an edelbrock(weber)600. Not quite as good as the
800 double pumper I had though.
The guy at holley said that a TBI would be fine on a single plane because
you are not trying to get a stronger signal to a venturi like on a carb.
I cant realy think of a low rise manifold that would be much better than a
torker2 for a 406.seems like there is a low rise single plane WEIAND but I'm
not sure. Certianly a victor jr. would run alot better, but there goes youre
hood clearence.
If you run a medium/high rise single plane made for a dominator carb, you
can use a short adaptor plate with no airflow problem. I have seen a few of
these manifolds(torker4500 ?).
Also you might consider a medium/high rise manifold made with a spreadbore
flange. then you could use a short spacer. But I dont know how much having
the TBI at the back of the plenum instaed of centered will hurt mixture
distribution. Thats why I used an old torker2.

Good luck
The Punisher