Wiring harness construction technique question

Roy spectric at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 11:54:53 GMT 2001

Hi all

With regards to the question of wiring harness
construction, the first question is what are you using
the vehicle for.  The OEM wiring used on vehicles does
it's intended job at a low cost, the connectors used
will often only have a life cycle of 10 applications
or less as they are not intended to do anything other
than connect up the electrical components once on a
production line and maybe a replacement component once
in the vehicles life time, this is reflected in their
cost.

I only use the OEM automotive connectors when their is
no option, ie connecting to injectors & sensors, but
have done work where the customer has insisted that
the OEM component has flyleads directly attached so as
a high quality connector can be used.

For many sensors especially Knock sensors I would
strongly suggest that you use gold flashed terminals
as they provide a much lower contact resistance and
are less effected by surface oxidation.

Then you have the wire, this falls into several
catagories.  Most OEM's are using thin walled PVC
which is a cheap grade of wire when compared to what
the racing industry are using, this being thin walled
PTFE at at least 20 times the price and here in the UK
is classed as type 44 or 45 which is an aircraft grade
wire.

Most OEM,s are not to concerned by the loom finish, it
is space tapped where it is out of sight but a mix of
taping and corregated split PVC tubbing is used around
the engine bay to make it a little tiddyier.

I use a range of finishes from PVC tubing, lacing cord
to the expensive heatshrink looms using moulded
transitions.

Looms should be fitted so as they do not obstruct
access to any major components, and so that they
cannot be accidently damaged when say removing an
engine.  I often use an engine dress loom that plugs
staight into a connector on my bulkhead.

         thanks Roy  ( Spectric's Ltd )