Which WB O2 is Best??

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Thu Nov 8 23:09:00 GMT 2001

From: "Stephen Webb" <swebb at netlab.uky.edu>
Subject: RE: Which WB O2 is Best??

> RE: the ongoing war on DIY-WB boards.  Commercial vs. non-profit, etc.
> I'm new enough to the list that I'm sure I am missing much of the
> background.  For a while I took the approach of "read the messages, and
> don't get too caught up in it".  Now I'm a bit more interested.

There is no "war".
Just some of us take exception to the actions of few that have ruined thing
for the many.  People want to label me and a others as being mad.  I'm not
mad about it, just terribly disappointed that such a good thing was trampled
on by someone.   And I just feel that it's important enough to point out to
others what it's going to cost them long term for someone cashing in on
this.

The sad part is the new guys, and lurkers are the ones to suffer.   Peter's
actions will have absolutely no bearing on anything I have going on, just
that now it won't be made public.  Let me restate that, his actions will
have a min., effect on what I do, I will still waste time posting to
everything he has to say about his piracy, or commercial efforts.

> 1.  Where can I view a current copy of the User Agreemenet (or license or
> whatever)

Site is down at the moment, but from the DIY-DFI home page, just go to DIY
Projects.

> 2.  Precisely what is dis-allowed in terms of selling the boards (ie I
> can't etch a dozen boards and sell them at my cost?

You can sell a million of them, just so long as not for profit.

I can't sell them for
> profit?)

Correct.
Otherwise, why would any want to contribute freely, if they see people like
Peter just cashing in on their work.    ALOT of work went into bringing the
WB to life.  To see someone just cashing in on this ruins anything getting
done in the future.

Also, if you want to improve on the design, you have to make that
information publicly available.   Again, Peter has claimed that he is going
to ignore this also.  Now that the hard work is done, folks like him think
they can cash in on also another level, buy changing it and keeping that
info private.  The effort was in figuring out how it worked, changing the
execution of design is easy.
   Also this particular design was chosen, as to be most available to all to
use.  Sure it could have been digitial, but not everyone has access to  a
programmer for a  PIC version (or some other similiar devise).  So it went
analog.
   The whole project was  intertaken to make it available, and easy for any
one to DIY.
Taking it to the next step just can complicate it enough to make it a lot
less DIY.
Or profitable for those that elect to cash in on the hard work of others
Bruce