Keeping usage agreements

Brian L Massey blocklm at juno.com
Fri Nov 9 16:03:18 GMT 2001

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 19:21:06 +0800 (WST) Bernd Felsche
<bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au> writes:
> You don't understand the EULA.

To quote you of late:
"You have no idea what you're talking about."

> *Any* work relating to wide-band lambda sensors must also
> be forwarded to the GMECM list.

GONG.

> All of those conditions hold regardless of any prior knowledge or
> prior art in the field. e.g. if somebody at NGK or Bosch is
> "exposed" to the content of the WB-DIY; they are expected to
> forward
> all their development information on wide-band sensors to GMECM,
> and
> can no longer profit from their usual work. The claim of the DIY-WB
> is on all forms of ion-pump drive.

Gong. Nope. Completely absurd interpretation, out of your head, not the
UA.

> That is despite the DIY-WB information being placed in the public
> domain.

Another gong. Old ground.

> As Peter has looked at DIY-WB, he's tainted and can no longer
> "profit" from the information therein (even if that information was
> previously available through other channels).

Nope. The *circuit* was not previously available through any other
channels, was it? I mean a working circuit, not that "caution: this isn't
a real working design" stuff you have posted.

> Nor can Peter (or anybody) "profit" from any device or algorithm
> relating to DIY-WB as such works automatically fall within the
> claims of the EULA. If the EULA were binding, Peter is not entitled
> to any Copyright on such works as they automatically become the
> property of the "DIY-WB TEAM".

Rubbish. You toss the word "relating to diyWB" awfully loosely. More
precise to say if the work is a derivative work or intentional add-on to
the diyWB project.

> His work can therefore not be placed under CopyLeft or Copyright as
> he does not own any of it, despite the magnitude of his own
> efforts.
> That is because the "DIY-WB TEAM" are empowered by the EULA to take
> ownership of all subsequent and previous work in the field.
>
> You will be assimilated.

Total rubbish. No person in their right mind would extend the scope of
the diyWB UA to the entire "field, subsequent and previous", as you put
it. Not the diyWB team, nor any person with a balanced intellect. You
want to erect that straw man so you can then justify your original
position you've already declared, namely "I'll obey the parts of an
agreement I like, and blow off the rest".

A drip can easily be assimilated by a mere kitchen sponge. That proves
nothing. BTW, I recently read in the archives how you Bernd on one
occasion seriously made the observation that using a contact temperature
gauge to measure underhood temps would "violate Heisenberg's uncertainty
principle" and throw off the measurements. Your post above makes about
the same amount of sense. Resorting to absurd and extreme arguments seems
to be a practice of yours. Consider the source.

BLM