I'm missing something...

Diehl, Jeffrey jdiehl at sandia.gov
Sat Nov 10 21:56:48 GMT 2001

Well, I don't think I understand something I saw last weekend and I'm hoping
someone can explain it to me.

Here goes...

I was riding in a guy's supercharged car and we were driving up the
mountain.  When we got to the top, we had gained ~5000ft in elevation.  Half
way up, his car started to run very rich, according to the "tip of the nose
AFR sensor."  I would expect this, of course, except:

This car is equiped with a flapper door AFM which I've been told are self
compensating for air temp and elevation.  This made sense at the time since
I believed that the air's MASS was opening the door to the AFM.  As the air
got hotter or thinner, the door wouldn't open as much at a given RPM and the
ECU would be able to compensate.

The guy said that he had a vacuum leak and wasn't getting full boost from
the blower.  Could this explain the situation?

Any comments would go a long way toward helping me understand.

Thanx,
Mike Diehl.