Megasquirt GP queries...

Kevin Wright krwright at wankel.net
Sat Nov 10 21:57:10 GMT 2001

At 2:19 PM -0800 11/9/01, Bernard Littau didst unleash upon the
Internet the following words:
>I would like to eventually convert my turbocharged Audi to megasquirt, away
>from CIS.  However, before I do that, I'll likely convert a NA lawnmower
>engine, or something equally pedantic, to megasquirt just to work through
>the issues.  I have a bit of a leaning curve to get past.
>
>I would like two megasquirts, so I have a spare.  Should I get one with the
>NA MAP and the other with the 2.0 bar MAP, or can I get away with the 2.0
>bar MAP on a test NA application?

It came across the list that those who were NA for now but planning
to boost should probably buy the 2-bar system. We were told that it
would work fine for NA applications, you just lose a little
resolution.
This is what Bruce Bowling had to say about it:

"Santi,

To change MAP sensor requires you to change it on the board, and use
the code version which has the MPX4250 version of KPAFACTOR.inc,
which is the lookup table which converts ADC counts directly in KPA.

As for running a NA car w/ a Turbo MAP - you can do it, but you lose
MAP resolution. the MPX4115 yields 5 volts @ 115 KPA, and the MPX4250
yields 5 volts @250 KPa (see the pattern in part number). But, in
reality, you will probably never notice the difference in resolution,
practically speaking. For your situation, get the Turbo MAP. For
those just running NA engines, get the MPX4115AP version.

- Bruce"

>How difficult is it to change the MAP?

It's a standard part, soldered to the board. Not to hard to change, I
would think. There's a table in the programming that will need to be
changed to reflect a different MAP sensor.

>Can arrangements be made to purchase more MAP setups than boards on the GP?
>
>Also, I am currently running at 15+ psi of boost on my Audi.  Is the 2.0 bar
>absolute, or above atmospheric?  I thought I saw some discussion on a 3.0
>bar sensor, but I never saw clearly if this was a viable alternate option.
>I would be interested in a setup that can deal with >15 psi boost.

The 3-bar MAP was mentioned, but not offered in the group buy.

For more/latest info see:
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
--
Kevin Wright