MegaSquirt

Bruce Bowling bbowling at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 10 21:57:44 GMT 2001

First, as was mentioned, I recommend anyone building the MegaSquirt system
to monitor the EFI332 list - this is where people are exchanging nuts and
bolts information.

Second, there are two MAP sensors available from Mot, the MPX4115 (115 KPa)
and the MPX4150 (250 KPa). You can use either MAP sensor with a N/A engine.
The sensor is soldered on the board, so to change it requires a desolder
operation, and if you change MAP types then you also have to change which
files you link in the code - this is the transfer function which converts
ADC counts to KPa. For the group buy, the processor will be programmed with
the appropriate file to match the sensor you order.

I have not tried the unit on a lawnmower engine, but it should work fine! I
like the idea of lawnmower engines as test engines.

As for which sensor to use, it is up to you. Since the group buy is
relatively inexpensive, many people are buying a second unit as a backup
"spare" which they keep in the trunk in case they ever have problems.

Also, you can use an external MAP sensor by adding one jumper to the board
which brings out the signal to the external connector. If you use your own
MAP then you have to come up with your own transfer function. I will soon
illustrate how to do this on the web page, when I get a few minutes to do so.

No, we will not offer MAP sensors other than what comes with the group
purchase. The group purchase is difficult enough and is sucking up vast
amounts of time, and piecing out parts will drive us crazy. Digi-key will
eventually carry these sensors, so you can get a replacement from them if
you ever need one.

One last thing - we have passed the 100 unit mark, so the $100.00 price is
a go. The group purchase will close on November 15th, and this is a
one-time group purchase. The MegaSquirt web page is
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html , and the sign-up page is
http://www.bgsoflex.com/register.html

- Bruce

>Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 14:19:26 -0800
>From: "Bernard Littau" <bernard at blama.com>
>Subject: Megasquirt GP queries...
>
>I would like to eventually convert my turbocharged Audi to megasquirt, away
>from CIS.  However, before I do that, I'll likely convert a NA lawnmower
>engine, or something equally pedantic, to megasquirt just to work through
>the issues.  I have a bit of a leaning curve to get past.
>
>I would like two megasquirts, so I have a spare.  Should I get one with the
>NA MAP and the other with the 2.0 bar MAP, or can I get away with the 2.0
>bar MAP on a test NA application?
>
>How difficult is it to change the MAP?
>
>Can arrangements be made to purchase more MAP setups than boards on the GP?
>
>Also, I am currently running at 15+ psi of boost on my Audi.  Is the 2.0 bar
>absolute, or above atmospheric?  I thought I saw some discussion on a 3.0
>bar sensor, but I never saw clearly if this was a viable alternate option.
>I would be interested in a setup that can deal with >15 psi boost.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bernard Littau
>Woodinville, WA

>To unsubscribe from diy_efi, send "unsubscribe diy_efi" (without the quotes)

- Bruce

              Bruce A. Bowling
          bbowling at earthlink.net
    http://home.earthlink.net/~bbowling