I'm missing something...

Bob Wooten r71chevy at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 12 19:52:35 GMT 2001

Greg,

I am missing something.  How can that NOT be a Mass flow device.  If an
engine was running @ 20% throttle position on a flat road (constant load) @
sea level it would be pulling X amount of air though the flow meter.  @ sea
level there are going to be X' amount of molecules in the air & the flapper
is going to move to some value.

@ 5000 feet using the same 20% throttle position on the "same" flat road is
going to simulate the "same" load (ignoring the air resistance issue, say 20
mph, so it is negligible), the air is only going to be 83.3% as dense
(24.92/29.92), so it is going to have 83.3% fewer molecules in the air to
"push" the flow meter open.

would this not "compensate" for the altitude change?  I would expect that
depending on how "smart" the ECM was it would compensate right or wrong, but
it ought to be doing some compensation.

what am I missing?

BW

In a word, you were told wrong. They are a volume flow device.

Greg