Archives update

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Mon Nov 12 20:00:58 GMT 2001

> I also need some one that can seperate a years worth of archives in monthly
> files.  My system runs out of memory trying to cut + paste this large of
> stuff.
> I also, need some partcial months pasted together.
>
> ***Also, need volunteers to read thru and finish edit the them.***

I just wanted to let everyone know what I did to read the archives,
since I find it quite convenient.  I use Netscape messenger (from
communicator v4.7x) to read mail, and if you stick a standard mail file
in the directory with your mailboxes, it will be seen by Netscape as a
folder the next time you run it.  So I downloaded all the plaintext
archives and stuck each file in Netscape's folder directory.  Then I ran
the program and for each of the archive files I selected all (ctrl-A)
and moved them all to a single folder.  After that I deleted the obvious
crap, i.e. bounced mail storms.

After doing this I now have the entire archive in a single place (46578
messages, 120,432,026 bytes!), and it's threaded (so that replies are in
order) and searchable.  I can page through it and browse subject lines,
sort by date/thread/author/whatever.  For example if you want to read
all the posts someone has ever made on the list just sort by author and
scroll down until you find that person and read all their posts.
Netscape's search is fairly advanced too, you can set up queries with
multiple and/or matching of keywords by field/subject/body.  Once
Netscape has built its summary file it's really pretty fast without too
much disk thrashing.

I really think this beats reading text files any day so I thought I
would pass this technique along.

Brian