Intro Post

Jesse Ruppel ruppeljw at capital.net
Mon Nov 12 20:02:24 GMT 2001

Hello List,
	My name is Jesse Ruppel and I am currently a Senior at Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute majoring in Mechanical Engineering.  I own a much
modified 87 Toyota Supra turbo, and I am currently researching the design of
a system to eliminate the OEM air flow meter and replace it with a
speed-density system.  I will be running a large (Garrett T-61) turbo on my
engine, and the OEM AFM becomes a large restriction, and there is also the
need for control of larger fuel injectors.  Currently, HKS sells a product
known as a Vein Pressure Converter (VPC) that currently does something
similar to what I am looking for.

	The OEM AFM on the car is a Karmen Vortex design and therefore outputs a
square wave signal with frequency proportional to the velocity of the air
flow.  My goal is make a system that outputs a square wave signal
proportional to mass flow determined through a speed-density algorithm to
the OEM Toyota TCCS (Toyota Computer Control System).  This will essentially
"trick" the computer into thinking the mass flow rate is less than it really
is to allow compensation for larger injectors.  Of course tuning of OEM fuel
map via modification of the VE table would also be possible.  The HKS VPC
system does this same thing, but it is expensive (over $1000), it requires
the purchase of new chips to compensate for different size injectors, and
the tuning abilities are limited; still many people find it very effective.
The TCCS was a very sophisticated system for it's day (and for the most part
still is), which is why I would like to keep it rather than going with a
standalone system.

	I have taken the embedded control course at RPI which utilized the Motorola
68HC11 processor with the EVB Evaluation Board.  All the programming was
done in C, and by looking through the diy-efi page it does not look like
that is the popular way to do it.  I am not really sure which processor
would best to go with right now.  It would obviously need some sort of Flash
RAM, and I would like to be able to modify parameters of the VE table easily
(eg. NOT by having to modify code, recompile, and download) via a laptop in
the car.  Right now these are the things that I do not know much about and
am researching.

	In any case, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has done
something similar, good reference books, or any opinions on the idea.  I
just plan to hang out and see what I can learn from the list at first.

Thank you,

Jesse Ruppel
ruppeljw at capital.net

87 Toyota Supra Turbo