Need Some Advice/Guidance (Was: Re: Injector Bosses)

Kevin Ragsdale kevin_ragsdale at msn.com
Mon Nov 12 22:01:44 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Williams" <dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 7:27 PM
Subject: RE: Injector Bosses

> -> season. If you don't mind spraying the injector shot on the bottom of
> -> the runner the thread in ones should do fine.
>
>  Well, it works for the Chevy Tuned Port V8s, previous-generation GM
> and Ford port injected V6s (including the Buick Grand National) and
> about a zillion 5.0 Fords.
>
> - Dave "Perfect is the enemy of good enough." Williams

Thanks everyone for the input on this.  I had just assumed that all the
factory systems pointed the injectors at the back of the valve.  If that's
the case, then why don't more people use the screw in bosses?  It must be
considerably cheaper than welding them in.

My project is fitting a MegaSquirt system to a mildy modified 472 Cadillac
engine.  There are basically two options for me:

1.  Use the 75-79 factory intake, TB, and injectors rails.  The factory
intake is very low profile.  Going to an Edelbrock intake on carbureted
models is an instant 30-40 hp increase, but I don't know if that's true for
an FI system.  The advantage here is cost and convenience.  I can get a
complete intake, TB, rails and injectors (42 lb. low-z) for $275.  The TB is
a 2bbl unit with 2.25 inch bores.  I'll probably have to find a new TPS,
since the factory one is a switching type.

2.  Convert an Edelbrock Performer manifold.  I can get just the injectors
and rails for $100, and I already have the intake.  The cost here is getting
the manifold converted and finding a throttle body.  I've been thinking
about gutting an electronic Q-Jet, since it already has a TPS installed.
What do you folks out there think about that idea?

Of course, either system will need an O2 sensor and the recommended GM temp
sensors.

Regards,

Kevin Ragsdale