I'm missing something...

Jon Snoddy Jon at Snoddy.net
Tue Nov 13 20:15:11 GMT 2001

You are close, but doesn't the "flow as volume/time" definition assume
something less compressible than air, like a liquid?  With a liquid, your
argument holds :a glass of water at sea level has roughly the same volume as
a glass of water on a mountain.  So if you were drawing water through the
air flow meter, the density wouldn't change much and the measurement would
be pretty much the same at sea level as on a mountain.  But if you replace
the uncompressible water with a compressible gas, doesn't something have to
change?  (remember that "gas law thing" from high school physics).  Drawing
a gas at low pressure through that spring loaded door will have a different
effect than drawing that same gas through the same spring loaded door, under
a higher pressure...I think.

-jon

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-diy_efi at diy-efi.org [mailto:owner-diy_efi at diy-efi.org]On Behalf
Of rob files
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 1:07 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: RE: I'm missing something...

Hi Mike,

It is called an air flow meter for a reason...it can only measure air
*flow*.  The units of flow are volume per time....so the AFM can tell the
ECU, "I am measuring 20 cubic meters of air/hour."  Now you can see why you
would need a density correction for this, 20 m^3 is a volume and depending
on temp and pressure, you could have a varying amount of oxygen molecules
(which is all the ECU wants to know).  It's very likely that the vehicle you
were riding in does not do continous atmospheric correction and that is why
the a/f ratio went out of wack with the increase in elevation.

BTW, Mass Air Flow meters (the hotwire type) measures the mass of air
directly without the need for density correction.  MAP sensors can only
provide the manifold pressure which the ECU uses along with density
correction, RPM and some constant VE value to calculate the mass of oxygen
entering the engine.

That is how I understand tthings anyway
-Rob