Air Flow Meter discussion (WAS: "I'm missing something...)

Kevin _ kiggly at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 17 00:07:38 GMT 2001

>-Air Flow Meter (AFM or flapper/vane sensor):  measures air flow and must
>have density correction to calculate air mass.
>-Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (MAP):  measures manifold pressure and
>must have density plus other correction and some assumed constant values to
>*guess* at the air mass.
>-Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF or hotwire):  measures the mass of the air
>directly and does NOT require any corrections by the ECU.

Unfortunately, there is no such real thing as a physical MAF.  A hotwire
sensing mechanism more-so measures velocity of the air than mass.  There are
tons of corrections that go on in these sensors (standardly 2 hotwires held
at a constant delta T with an instrumentation amp using resistance to
reference temp) to attempt to get an output that is representative of mass
airflow.

>-Karmon Vortex:  I believe these also measure flow and must correct for
>density.  I am a little sketchy on how these work; something about a
>honeycomb structure that creates turbulence in the air flow stream that can
>be measured (at least in the Toyotas).

The honeycomb is there for keeping the flow straight into the sensor body.
There is a normally a triangularly shaped part before the microphones that
upsets the flow, causing the vortecies.  This method seems to work very well
over a broad range of airflows and normally has a frequency output.  There
is a breakdown flowrate with these sensors after which they become erratic
and useless.

Unfortunately, in the automotive world, all the aforementioned sensors
besides the MAP are VERY slow.  From the airflow change to its reported
measurement, you have a bare minimum of something like 20ms before all the
corrections are applied.  On the hotwire, the automotive environment
requires a very durable sensor, so a big-ole thermistor is usually used as
the hotwire element, which only adds to its latency.  Combine that with the
air response time of a turbo system that has 2 cubic feet of plumbing that
is being compressed from 1:1 to 3:1 and you're in for some very
non-representative readings during spoolup and after you get off the gas.

On the other hand, a general MAP sensor reacts in about 1ms.  This is by far
the superior way to go for making a drivable EFI setup.  With the airflow
measuring devices, you'd probably have to wait about 4 engine cycles to be
able to calculate an accurate airflow input at 9k rpm (13ms/cycle, total
wild guess of 40ms latency), where with the MAP setup you're able to catch
it 1 cycle after the transition.  To take care of the latency issue, you
just have to piss fuel in with throttle transition corrections.

BTW - I just joined the list earlier today, there seems to be a lot of good
stuff here!

Kevin