Switches or relays?

Jim Blackwood jblackwood5 at home.com
Mon Nov 19 22:32:37 GMT 2001

That does get a little confusing. I'm not sure what the actual duration
of a single spark across the spark plug gap is. Maybe as you say, but
kinda like using your stopwatch on a lightning bolt. In this particular
instance there are two things: The flux across the gap is likely the
result of the original ionization charge followed by the decay of the
r/c circuit, and that flux continues only as long as there is sufficient
potential to maintain the ionized state. In concept it's not that much
different than the operation of a peak-and-hold circuit, except that
conduction generally dies off before it is switched off. As you say,
this conduction likely continues in both directions in an alternating
fashion, the reversals occurring at an extremely high rate, but one that
is determined by the r/c constant of the secondary circuit. Tho' I don't
know for sure, I suspect the MSD circuitry relies on a much slower
frequency in the primary circuit using positive feedback to maintain
amplitude until the signal is switched off. In this case, whether or not
the ionized field collapses depends on the relative frequencies, i.e.
does the original pulse last long enough for the second one to pick up
where it left off? Normally, I don't think this is the case, which means
that the ionizing potential of the second charge has to equal or nearly
equal the first. I base this on the need for a saturate-and-collapse of
the magnetic field, and on the sound the MSD makes when firing.