DIY_EFI Digest V5 #879

Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com
Mon Nov 19 22:33:23 GMT 2001

The basic redundancy on airplanes (private planes) is two spark plugs per
cylinder and two magnetos.  If one magneto fails, the other side will keep
the plane running.

There is no redundancy for the fuel system.

Can't make every single point of failure redundant on a auto, otherwise we
would have to carry two of the following:

Batteries
Alternators
Fuel pumps
ECUs
Fan belts
Transmissions
etc

Sometimes you just have to take some risks, and carry a cell phone.

-----Original Message-----
From: dom [mailto:dom at criticalpath.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 5:43 PM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: RE: DIY_EFI Digest V5 #879

Running Pikes Peak?

Getting stranded on the side of the road is a bummer.
Getting stuck miles from civilization is a pain.
Engine failure miles above civilization can really ruin you day.

I don't know much about planes but I have heard of people having a backup,
fully mechanical fuel and ignition system. Just curious what you plans are
and your comfort level flying with a system that hasn't been thoroughly
tested.
-Dom