Cam position sensing w/o a cam sensor

Santi Udomkesmalee scathontiphat at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 25 21:19:48 GMT 2001

I'm interested in running a sequential system, but I'm having a problem with
getting TDC of cyl. 1.  I know the traditional approach is to use a cam
sensor, but this seems like an excessive amount of work, since the ECM only
needs to sync the flywheel sensor input to the cam sensor input once.  My
thought is that the engine could run for a few seconds in batch fire until
the ECM could figure out TDC of Cyl. 1, and then switch to sequential.  If
anyone can figure out a way to do this cheaply w/o the use of a cam position
sensor, I'm open to any ideas.  I've thought about using an EGT in cyl. 1
exhaust tube, but I'm not sure if the EGT has a high enough resolution for
this to work.  Also, I've thought about using a peizo electric sensor for
sensing cylinder pressure on the spark plug 1, but I'm also not sure if that
will work.  Suggestions?? thanks.

-santi u.