Megasquirt A/D Vdd

Bruce Bowling bbowling at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 25 21:19:55 GMT 2001

Hello Stewart,

Good question! It turns out that this micro (as many others) bring the Vref
out to a pin for one to hook up the power supply. The Vref is the upper
voltage range of the ADC. If you power all of the sensors off of the same
power supply as the Vref line, the setup will be "ratiometric", meaning
that if the Vref changes, all of the biasing for the sensors also change
along with it, hence you will acquire the same count value (within ADC
precision). This is a common analog power supply biasing scheme which
preserves the accuracy of acquisition for varying reference levels, and is
the way OEMs bias their sensors.

- Bruce

>Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:20:46 -0800
>From: Stewart Prince <sprince at csun.edu>
>Subject: Megasquirt A/D Vdd
>
>Just wondering about the megasquirt reference voltage for the  sensors and the
>a/d converter.  I Believe the lm29x7 has a +/-5% tolerance which would be
>about
>+/-.25 volts in terms of the absolute maximum ratings.  Is that accurate
>enough
>for the a/d converter & sensors?  Isn't a precision voltage reference with
>about
>a +/-1% usually used?
>S. Prince
>
>- ----- End of forwarded message from owner-diy_efi at diy-efi.org -----