Cam position sensing w/o a cam sensor

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Sun Nov 25 22:01:32 GMT 2001

Santi Udomkesmalee wrote:

> .. I know the traditional approach is to use a cam
> sensor, but this seems like an excessive amount of work,

How is it " excessive" compared with ...

> I've thought about using an EGT in cyl. 1
> exhaust tube, but I'm not sure if the EGT has a high enough resolution for
> this to work.

and ..

> Also, I've thought about using a peizo electric sensor for
> sensing cylinder pressure on the spark plug 1, but I'm also not sure if that
> will work.

> Suggestions??

Rethink "excessive", and use a cam position sensor. If you tell us why you
think it's excessive in your application, then perhaps someone can come up
with a "non-excessive" cam position sensor for you.

Also ..

> .. since the ECM only needs to sync the flywheel sensor input to
> the cam sensor input once.

This is not good engineering practice in a noisy electrical environment.

Peter