WB O2 Sensor Connector Again

Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com
Mon Nov 26 16:25:37 GMT 2001

Neil,

I think you missed the lesson here.

If you are not going to use the actual connector and take advantage of the
built in Cal Resistor then you should gut the connector and use the actual
Resistor inside your project box.  Don't waste your time finding a 1%
Resistor that is close to the Cal resistor, just use the actual resistor
that is built into the connector.  Otherwise, anytime you change sensors,
you will have to find another 1% Cal resister, solder and unsolder the old
one, way too much work.

Here is the choices everyone should keep in mind.

1)  The best way to design the WBO2:  Get the female connector and build it
into your system.   This way, whenever you change Sensors (because they are
old or broken), all you have to do is  unplug the old sensor and plug in the
new sensor.  This requires a 7 wire cable be run to the WBO2 sensor.

2)  If you can not get the connector:  Now you only need to run five wires
(and will need a male and female 5 pin connector) to the sensor.  You need
to pull apart the factory WB02 connector and pull out the CAL Resister.  I
made a connector inside my box using two quick connect plugs:  see
http://info.digikey.com/T013/V5/SectA.pdf  and look at Figure 2 on page 138
(the Digikey page, not the Adobe page) to view the type connectors if you do
not know what I am describing.  Basically I took two of these connectors and
using a pair of pliers bent the metal to make a nice female socket that I
can plug my Cal Resistor into.  So now anytime I replace the sensor I have
to do the following: put a new 5 pin connector on the WBO2 sensor, and
replace the current Cal Resistor inside my project box with the New CAL
resistor that comes with the sensor. The white insert on the WBO2 sensor can
be removed by pulling it out with needle nose pliers.  I don't plan on
replacing sensors often, so I rather do this instead of spending a day at
the junk yard trying to find the sensor.

My personal desire is to get the connector, option 1 above requires that you
run 7 wires to the sensor (as opposed to 5 wires in option 2), however, you
never have to make a connector again, and you never have to open up your
project box again, just plug in the new sensor and it works.

Hope this helps.

Steve