CanBus: now rotary bashing

clayb clayb at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 26 22:41:03 GMT 2001

> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:07:08 +0200
> From: bill.shurvinton at nokia.com
> Subject: RE: CanBus: now rotary bashing
>
> I thought all the dissing of rotaries was out of people's systems a few
> weeks ago. Why does everyone think they only do 10 to the gallon. There
> are plenty of 4 pot turbos out there which have lousy economy (lancer
> Evo springs to mind).
>
> OK the exhaust porting has a fundamental flaw that Mazda have only just
> worked out how to address, but there is only a 10% theoretical
> difference in thermal efficiency between a reciprocating and rotary
> design, but the rotary doesn't have to drive a power sapping cam shaft.
>
> And yes I've heared all the 'I had an 85 12A turbo and it chugged gas
> like a V8.
>
> Bill (likes rotaries, but everyone says I'm strange)

Hey, I wasn't dissing rotaries. They is what they is, and fuel
efficiency never was their strong suit. They are powerful and
lightweight. As a rotary guy, you already know this.

It just seemed strange to be looking at reducing the negligible losses
of a turbo at cruise speeds in search of fuel economy, when the engine
is signficantly less efficient than a recip. If economy were a concern,
the most successful approach would be to turbo a different engine.

- Clay