Seeking a little advice on EFI project

Tomas J. Sokorai Sch. tsokorai at xperts.cl
Tue Nov 27 22:02:12 GMT 2001

Hi everybody!
I'm a newbie to this kind of projects, but I wanted to make a nice and
challenging embedded controller project, so I came with the idea to make my
own efi for an old 1975 Ford F100 pickup (302 V8 engine, manual transmission)
I want to know if my idea is too crazy or I'm oversimplifying things.
My idea consists in the following:
ECU board:
	8051 compatible cpu (12MHz Atmel 89c55)
	external sram
	external flash
	8 channel, 8 bit ADC (for sensors)
	IGBTs for the injector drivers.

Type of injection:
	TBI replacing the 2bbl Motorcraft 2150 carb
	MAP based
	RPM from the magnetic pickup of the distributor
	Closed loop capable

problems I'm thinking of:
	What kind of TBI should I get for my engine (or maybe I can destroy the carb
to fit 2 injectors and a TPS sensor!?!?.....). I want to keep the vacuum
advance, so I'll need ported vacuum.
	A suitable MAP sensor
	A suitable O2 sensor
	"	"	coolant temp. sensor
	Is it mandatory to have a barometric press. sensor?
	Is it mandatory to have a air temp. sensor?

If anyone can say something about my idea, I'll be glad to hear it, even if
it's that I'm "EFI Challenged" :)

Thanks,
Tomas Sokorai