MSD 6A

Kevin _ kiggly at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 27 22:16:04 GMT 2001

I personally do a lot of work with NASCAR (specifically the Dodge guys).
There are 2 boxes for 2 reasons.  Some teams are worried about failure and
have the 2nd as just a backup.  More commonly, there are 2 boxes to have 2
revlimiters, one for normal operation and one for pit lane.  They don't rev
higher on the last lap - they set up the gears in the car so they're in the
proper rpm range for the track and they're always in 4th gear (except pits
and restarts).

NASCAR mandates what ignition boxes can be used in the cars/trucks.  They
only allow a few boxes (actually maybe just 2) and they don't have 2-stage
revlimiters.  That's the main reason for 2 boxes.  Yeah, its weight and
space inefficient, but hell, they weigh 3400lbs w/o driver and have parts
from 60's cars.  Go figure.

Kevin