Correct A:F Ratio @ WOT?

Axel Rietschin Axel_Rietschin at compuserve.com
Tue Oct 2 12:01:28 GMT 2001

> Jeff Bromberger wrote
> > :-)  of course, timing will effect the readings a lot... if i'm at
12.0:1
> > running 34 degrees of timing and i drop the timing to 30 degrees the AFR
> may
> > go to 11.5:1... so they are definitely tied together, but if you're in
the

..wait a minute.. you change the spark advance timing and that affects the
air-to-fuel ratio, ie the quantity of fuel and/or the quantity of air
entering the engine? ..don't think so.. maybe that affects the combustion
and thus the quantity of oxygen remaining in the exhaust gases, but
certainly not the air-to-fuel ratio of the mixture present at the intake.
I'm playing a bit with words, but I think there is no way to find out
exactly what the air-to-fuel ratio was by looking at the exhaust gases, you
just find out how well (or how bad) the mixture burned.

--Axel