Pulse width and idle quality

Santi Udomkesmalee scathontiphat at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 01:58:02 GMT 2001

First of all, thanx for you suggestions on my OBDII problem...Any more
information would be greatly appreciated.  Right now the whole concept of
switching computers to a significantly older one, and then trying to first
make it work properly, and then trying to reprogram it seems a little
overwhelming right now, and will probably be put aside until I get some
extra time (too much school work, and too much working on the FSAE car.)

But I do have another question that I hope some of you can answer.  I am
interested in how injector pulse width affects idle quality, and also how
fuel pressure affect injector performance (besides lowering the mass fuel
flow.)  How low of a pressure can you run an injector and still have them
perform well.  The problem is that I need to inject a lot less fuel than
before (change from M85 to E85), but I don't really want to have to purchase
new injectors.  Our current injectors are supposed to be run at 58Psi, and
we currently run them at 51psi without problem.  But the change to E85 means
even a lower pressure (higher AF) if we want to stay in an acceptable duty
cycle.  SO any information you guys can shed on PW & idle quality, and
pressure and injector efficeny would be greatly appreciated.

-Santi U