Software and Hardware request !

Shane Moseley smoseley at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 3 02:12:36 GMT 2001

I agree that is pretty funny - but seriously tho - it obviously can be
done and lots
of us have the tools that are capable but there is still information
that is
required.  First things first - what kind of vehicle/pcm are you trying
reprogram?  You mentioned OBDII.  There are at least 3 types of OBDII
conversation
ISO, VPW, PWM.  Even if you had access to tools that could do the
reprogramming -
you would need to know the strings to send to the PCM to enable
writing.  If it's a
Chrysler (ISO) - check out the opendiag group on yahoo.  There is a
trivial circuit
(opto isolation and level shift if I remember correctly) that will
enable you to
speak to the PCM.  Once there - you can perform any function that the
scantool and
reprogrammer's are using.  Guess what?  You'll still be stuck because
you won't know
how to ask the PCM for info.  So now you purchase HS-3000 from SAE.
This gives you
all the info you'll need to get realtime sensor values, enable certain
tests, clear
trouble codes, and maybe some minor actuation of some components (fuel
sync, IAC,
etc).  Guess what?  You are still stuck when it comes to reprogramming.
As far as I
know - the info (strings/bits) required to enable the write are
proprietary.

The answer is as Shannen described - provided you know how to look for
it (ISO,
VPW-encoded, etc) - and have access to a dealerships tool.  This should
bring the
write strings to light.  Guess what?  Still not there.  Now you get to
reverse
engineer the binary image as thats what you'll have to tinker with to
make any
changes.  Now you 'read' a stock image and compare it to a 'modded'
image.  The
changes will be things like timing, fuel, enrichment tables, rev
limiter, speed
limiter, among other things.

Assuming you get this far - you'll still have a long way to go.  And
when you make a
guess (even an educated guess) - who's engine are you gonna test this
on?

This is not meant to discourage - by all means lets get it on!

If Chrysler - try this link:

http://www.ntxtools.com/manufacturers/otc/otc3560.htm

Latr,

Shane

Shannen Durphey wrote:

  Don Berry wrote:
  > Maybe, Mr. Wright
  > would share his secret fro the tools involved.

  This is too funny.  Somebody pick me up off the floor.  I can't catch
my
  breath...

  If Ed really were Mr. Right to the DIY community, the majority of the
reason for
  this list wouldn't exist!

  A wise man does not give away his source of income!  Professional
engine tuners
  fall somewhere between wise and paranoid, having characteristics of
both.

  Santi may benefit from being able to monitor a reprogramming event if
he could
  find a local shop/dealership capable of doing such a task, and one
that's
  willing to allow him to be involved in what will be percieved as a
potentially
  fatal process to the ecm.  Maybe, Santi, it's time to make a friend
within the
  local dealership's service department.

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI TB Pulleys RTcam MPComp HVoilpump
DynaGearDoubleRoller WindageTray CompTAs