Software and Hardware request !

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Oct 3 15:19:21 GMT 2001

There's some important things to remember:

Quite often, the same ecm is used on 4,6, and 8 cylinder cars.
Quite often, the same ecm is used on DIS and Distributor equipped cars.
Both statements can be true for the same ecm.

The differences lie in the calibration, and/or in the hardware memcal that the
calibration originally came with.

So yes, you could use a 6 cylinder computer on a 4.  You have to have a working
combination of software/memcal/ecm to be successful.

I don't believe you're correct in saying that the only sequential injected v8
was the ZR1.  The vortec smallblock truck engine was (is?) sequential
injection.  I would also expect Caddy and Olds to have used sequential injection
on later V8's.

Yeah, it's possible to rewrite the code.  There is often more than one version
of factory code for the same ecm.  And when you get good enough to write your
own code, you'll probably start thinking about all the non-auto related things
you could do with those little silver boxes.

Sequential injection doesn't give you much more than bragging rights in many
situations.  Especially in stock applications.