Motec tuning

Andrew Theurer habanero at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 3 15:56:40 GMT 2001

On Monday 01 October 2001 11:35 pm, you wrote:
> I have not been able to find any significant difference between high
> and low impedance injectors or between resistor vs. no resistor.
> The Motec will run any combination quite happily so if you're
> concerned about cutting the harness up just set the injector current
> value to 0.  If you use a high value the box will flag an "injector
> peak current not reached" error.

Thanks, this is good news.

> You can do a little experimenting yourself as the Motec box has
> diagnostics that will let you fire the injectors and ignition circuits.
> On the injector test you can fire each one individually and vary
> RPM, PW and firing current.  By varying your battery voltage you
> can generate your injector dead time comp table.

Now, doesn't motec have preset calibrations for injector dead time for
specific fuel injector models?  Would the inline resistor affect this?

> I zip tied the injectors to the rail and let them flow into their
> own containers.  If by chance you have any variations in flow you
> can use the Motecs individual cylinder corrections to even things
> up to start with.

Hopefully this will not be a problem.  These injectors came from RC
engineering (bosch 1000cc) and were balanced within I believe 0.2%.

> Later on you can do individual cylinders on the
> dyno via EGT/AF/plug reading etc.  Before you install the turbo
> header, TIG on some 1/8 NPT bungs or weld Swagelok 1/4"
> fittings straight on.  That will let you pick up exhaust pressure,
> EGT or AF ratio.
>
> Your car should be bike killer when it's all done.  Hopefully it will
> put down more than a local here with a very sad HKS twin'd
> Supra making only 619rwhp.

Only 619? haha.  Another local Supra is at about 600 on pump gas at roughly
18 psi.  At 28-30 psi, these turbos are good for 700 - 800 rwhp depending on
your A/R.  Mine are slightly different than most I have seen (2835R) with I
believe a slightly larger compressor wheel, so we will see.   Anyway, walking
'busas on the highway is getting kind of old in my town :)

-Andrew