How do you tune an ECU without knock control

Stephen Webb swebb at netlab.uky.edu
Wed Oct 3 18:34:34 GMT 2001

> I have also read other articles that suggest power is still increasing at
> the onset of spark knock, never mind that your engine may be detonating
> through carbon buildup / other overheating malodies.

FWIW:  The owners manual to my friends 1991 Nissan Sentra GXE (1.6
16v) says that (paraphrase) "light engine knock or pinging may occur when
your engine is under heavy load, such as climbing a hill.  This is normal
and actually enhances [economy/power]"  blah blah, your engine is designed
to tolerate this for brief periods, blah blah.

-Steve