injection strategies for 4 cyl, port injection (1.6L Toyota

Diehl, Jeffrey jdiehl at sandia.gov
Wed Oct 3 18:13:51 GMT 2001

Ron,

The reason I would change to batch mode at higher RPM's is that it makes the
circuit easier to build.  Instead of firing the same injector twice as
often, I simple fire the same injector with both it's regular firing circuit
and another injector's firing circuit.

For example:

At idle, injector #1 is fired by circuit #1, #2 by circuit #2, etc.
In batch mode, injector #1 is fired by circuit #1 and #4, #2 by #2 and #3,
etc.

This is equivelent to firing them out of phase as you mention and will cool
the valves.

The sequential mode doesn't affect vaporization at all.  The problem is that
with large injectors, you have difficulty metering out the small amount of
fuel required for idle.  That's why OEM injectors are kinda small and run
out of capacity at high power levels.  But they idle well and pass emissions
tests at 3000RPM.  If you add larger injectors, you won't be able to squirt
out the small fuel charges in batch mode, so you switch to sequential mode..

At least that's how I understand it...

Mike Diehl,
'87 MR-2, 7age, Dual Pipes, hand-bent header.
'96 4-Runner, Bone stock.
'90 Corolla, Disguised as a Geo Prism!