Software and Hardware request !

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 4 03:55:55 GMT 2001

crdotson tapped away at the keyboard with:
> >> Shhh, don't tell anyone, but a SEFI GN stands as good or better chance of
> >> passing an emission test in batch fire mode then SEFI.
> >> Shh, remember this is an actual documented *thing*.
> >> Shhh, no theory or make believe, feel free to refer to the Gnttype
> archives.
> >> Even the acrhives here, look for those by Ward Spoonmore.  Course you can
> >> agrue that this is real world stuff, and not supported by theory <g>.
> >> Bruce
> >
> >GN?
>
> Grand National.  By Buick (hence the reference to GN and T-type archives).

Thanks. GN meant less to me than Euro II and Euro III do to you.

> The GN was a turbo V6 from the mid 80s, one of the few performance
> cars of the day.  The T-type was pretty hot, but not as much as
> the GN and that wasn't as hot as the GNX, altho they're RARE and
> not sure what made them faster than the GN.

I still have no idea what they are/were, but at least I have more of
no idea. :-)

> Don't know much about Euro II and Euro III standards, but it
> sounds to me like both of them are more stringent than the 80s
> emission specs the Buick GNs have to meet here (US).

Euro II and Euro III are (if not exactly) the emission standards
required for new EU cars produced in 1996 and 2000 respectively.
Taxes in Europe are onerous; so you pay through the nose (and every
other orifice) in Germany if your old car doesn't meet at least Euro
II already. You get tax breaks for Euro IV (which becomes mandatory
for new cars in 2005).

As to absolute levels, they're not exactly comparable to USA
requirements because the test cycles and methodologies differ.
EU standards also take into account vehicle mass.

The following are from the Bosch Automotive Handbook (5th Ed.)

		CO g/km 	HC g/km		NOx g/km	HC+NOx g/km
Euro I	 1992	2.72		-		-		0.97
Euro II	 1996	2.2		-		-		0.5
Euro III 2000	2.3		0.2		0.15		-
Euro IV	 2005	1.0		0.1		0.08		-

FTP75 USA	CO g/mile	HC g/mile	NOx g/mile
1982-FED	3.41		0.41		1.0
1994		3.4		0.25		0.4
2004		1.7		0.125		0.2

NOTE: Standards change... and test cycles vary even under the
"same" nominal standard. So direct comparisons from year to year
may not be valid.

--
Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia