RTD or thermocouple?

Craig Dotson crdotson at vt.edu
Tue Oct 9 23:55:54 GMT 2001

> I'm at the point where I need to get a sensor to measure exhaust gas
temps,
> and I am seeking some advice.  I can get a thermocouple, but I am
concerned
> that it will not report temps quickly enough.  I have heard that a RTD has
> been used, but I have not found a source for one.  Does anyone know of a
> source where I can get an RTD with a "black box" to output 0-5v based on
> temps?  Or should I just stick with a thermocouple?

How fast do you need a response?  What type T/C you talking about?  I've
done experiments using homemade thermocouples of various wire gauges, and
even with AWG 18 T/C wire the first-order time constant (1/3 of 97% settling
time) was on the order of 0.01 seconds IIRC.

Stick with thermocouples...I can't imagine it being THAT critical to improve
response time.

Craig Dotson
crdotson at vt.edu
2002 VT FormulaSAE