plug readings vs electronics

Gregory A. Parmer gparmer at acesag.auburn.edu
Wed Oct 10 14:04:55 GMT 2001

> > I'm not an art lover really. So I prefer some other way. Would the voltage
> > and/or current of the spark during combustion tell us the information we
> > want?
>
> combustion chamber after it is used to spark.  Their system uses direct
> ignition (one coil per cylinder) and is called Trionic.  I have no idea how
> it works, but I bet they have some SAE papers on the subject, if you are up

Most certainly. Since it hasn't flown by here in a bit, this is from my
collection of faqs-- http://www.aces.edu/~gparmer/efi/myfaq.htm :

See
     http://www.mecel.se/my_html/body_Ion_Sense.htm, and
     http://www.vehicular.isy.liu.se/Research/activity96/node5.html.
See also
     http://www.patents.ibm.com and look up the patents 4,862,093 and
     5,293,129. The images comprising these 2 patents are also available
at http://www.aces.edu/~gparmer/ion. The way it works is, after the
spark is applied to the plug, a different circuit applies much lower
voltage across the plug gap (80-400 volts, not enough to form an arc).
Because of ions formed during combustion (a plasma), some small current
flows across this gap. By looking at the amount of current, you can tell how if
the mixture detonated or not (ref Steve Ravet -- DIY_EFI email on 28 May
1998;"Sanity Challenged" -- DIY_EFI email on 24 Jun 1998; or search DIY_EFI
for "Crown Jewels").

-greg