Effectiveness of RAM induction? (AFM replacement)

Mark Agnello m_agnello at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 20:34:54 GMT 2001

> Now here is what I'm planning to do...
> From the TB, I'll go through a hot-wire MAP.  I'll
> have to build a circuit
> to make the MAP look like the AFM for the ECU.

Jeffrey,

I am interested in doing something similar.  I have an
All Trac Turbo.  Same 3SGTE engine, similar restricted
intake path.  Have you put any serious effort into
figuring out how to emulate the AFM with a hot wire
MAF?  I have a spare AFM and I have been trying to
figure out how to build a calibrated test bench that
will allow measuring voltage vs airflow
characteristics of the stock AFM.  Any ideas?

I seem to remember info on the web that indicated the
voltage characteristic is very non-linear.  In
addition, there is a thermistor that modifies the
voltage output with temperature.

=====
Mark Agnello
Washington Crossing, PA (USA)
88 Toyota Celica All Trac Turbo (restoration project)
92 Toyota Celica All Trac Turbo
96 Honda VFR
89 Honda Hawk GT (restoration project)