Effectiveness of RAM induction?

David Randall davidra at windows.microsoft.com
Fri Oct 12 21:07:00 GMT 2001

Digging back behind some brain cobwebs, I recall that a 90 degree bend
in a 3" ID pipe adds the equivalent of 1' - 1 1/2' of straight pipe.
Multiply out the number of 90 deg bends you've got in your system, and
your drinking straw intake system gets longer still.

So, is it possible to create a "vent" right above the AFM intake (after
being coupled closely to the TB)?

I don't like the thought of hacking up exterior metal too much myself,
but it seems like a nice airbox duct that mates to the "hood" of the MR2
would allow you to draw in fresh exterior air and eliminate yards of
piping.   That alone should give you a large portion of the potential
gain.  Maybe some donor car(s) could provide a nice drop in insert from
a hood vent.

The second alternative would be to try and run ducting to face the
oncoming air stream.  However, I presume any air filter that's not
facing 90 deg to the air stream will be a significant air flow blockage,
and effectively negate any possibility for positive pressure.  Which
leaves you back at option 1, create the shortest possible path between
the TB and an exterior fresh air source.

HTH

Dave Randall