Aerochargers are better than a twin screw!! hahaha ;-)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 15 05:47:20 GMT 2001

OK--see my post to the list. For want of a better word, I think it is fair
to say that the Lysholms have a wider "dynamic range" than even a well
selected conventional turbo, and that a VATN turbo, in turn, has a wider
"dynamic range" than a Lysholm.

There is NO doubt that any type of a turbo allows getting a much higher
expansion ratio out of an engine, whereas a mechanically driven
supercharger has no effect at all on the engine's expansion ratio.
Certainly, there are very significant efficiency/bsfc implications to this
fact.

I think I gave a decent synopsis of my thoughts on the reliability problems
which have been experienced with VATN's in my post to the list, as well as
my thoughts on curing said problems.

As far as ethical boundaries go, no, I don't think you "crossed" any,
either. The other side of it is that there are a _LOT_ of guys here (on the
list) with a _LOT_ of heavy duty credentials. Most of them don't feel the
need to flaunt them. It tends to keep the discussions a bit more
egalitarian when it's done that way, and that approach _does_ seem to add
to the availability of knowlege on the list.

What I mean by "egalitarian" is--present facts, back 'em up, and let them
stand or fail on their own. No one should presume that anyone elses facts
(or writing) are rendered more credible (on the list) because of anyone's
credentials. I have found that taking this approach on the list to be good
exercise in logical thinking as well as humility !

What makes the list worthwhile to most is presentation of facts, nothing
else. I wanted --and apparently got-- your attention because I figured you
were either talking down to the list or had not really done your homework.
I'm sort of glad it was the former, because, at least you are _capable_ of
contributing more to the list --all that is needed would be for you to
decide to go ahead and DO it. Of course, if the latter were the case, that
wouldn't be possible.

There are many on the list who _don't_ know that the Lysholms are NOT quite
as efficient as a well selected centrifugal.  Lot's of folks seem to think
that because the Lysholms have been described as "much more efficient"
(than Roots blowers) that they must also be much more efficient than good
centrifugals! The numbers you quoted below would have been useful toward
the education of a lot of folks.

Later--

Greg