Aerochargers are better than a twin screw!! hahaha ;-)

Stephen Webb swebb at netlab.uky.edu
Mon Oct 15 14:29:36 GMT 2001

> When you compare the period of time that a turbo is making better efficiency
> vs screw-comp, it is for a very small time period.

My gut feeling is that it's more important to be operating in a high
efficiency region when you are flowing the most air.  If the compressor is
very inefficient at low airflow rates, your intercooler should be able to
better deal with it than at high airflow rates.  Does this sond
reasonable?

> Forget peak power, efficency etc.  They all mean nothing!!!!  What really
> matters is what you can do with it. We have had both a 732 hp turbo engine,

Maybe the turbo was sized wrong for your application?  Maybe you would
have been happier with your engine if the turbo version were putting out
450 HP, but had better low end power, less lag, etc?

I agree that talking about peak horsepower as a way to compare two engines
is misguided.  Does anyone know of some "standard" way to talk about an
engine over the entire range, rather than just peak?

The area under the torque curve between two rpm points?

Time to accelerate between two RPM points, under a given load?

I'm sure many people have thought about / discussed this -- any comments?

-Steve