Aerochargers etc: real back pressure numbers

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at home.com
Tue Oct 16 18:47:15 GMT 2001

> Being curious and since I was allready using a 12 channel datalogger and
> wb NTK to tune the Typhoon I had just purchased with its new Garrett
> TE-60 turbo, I instrumented the TY with pressure sensors and EGT probes
> to measure back pressure before the turbo and manifold (boost) pressure
> as well as egt before and after the turbo.

Insightful info.  Thanks.  I am curious as to whether you had an exhaust
system downstream of the turbine in your TY during those tests (ie: piping,
converter, muffler), and whether you data logged the EBP at the turbine
discharge?  Anyone else ever measure this type of thing?  I know this is
going to sound rather vague, but, what's an acceptable value for post
turbine EBP in a street car before seriously impacting a turbo's capability?

Walt.